Before you begin you must have the following documents ready:

  • Valid Identification
  • Signed and dated Authority to Release Form
  • The above will be uploaded and should be saved as either a .JPG, .JPEG, .PNG, or .PDF file format and must be no larger than 6MB for each document

Valid Identification

We use your ID to verify that the right person has sent the request. The copy of your ID must:

  • be clear and readable and show your full name, date of birth, signature and expiry date
  • match the details you provide on the online form
  • not be defaced (spoiled) in any way(it must show all the official characteristics and features of the ID)

NOTE: Any other information not listed above is not required to complete the check and may be redacted (carefully blacked out) on the copy of the ID you provide to us if you wish. For example, gender, address information or document numbers can be redacted.

You must use one of the following:

  • A New Zealand Driver’s Licence, clearly signed. This can be current or expired within the last 2 years. You can’t use a cancelled or temporary licence.
  • A New Zealand passport, clearly signed. This can be current or expired within the last 2 years. You can’t use a cancelled passport.
  • An overseas Passport, clearly signed and current.
  • A current New Zealand Firearm Licence.

If you do not have one of the above, please complete one of the following forms.

Proof of Identity Form or Statutory Declaration

Authority to Release Form

You will need to complete and upload a Authority to Release Form so we can compare the signature on this form to the signature on your ID.This form also contains your authority to release your information.

The Authority to Release must:

  • be clear and readable
  • be exactly the same as the details you provide in the online form
  • exactly match the signatures on the ID
  • be dated within the last six months

Click the link to access the Authority to Release Form

Authority to Release Form

Need more information?

How long the process will take

Check this page for regularly updated timeframes - Criminal Record Information

Tips to avoid delays

  • Ensure your ID shows your signature and expiry date.
  • Check everything is correct before you upload it.

Getting an authenticated or Apostille-certified record

Some countries may ask for your record to be authenticated or Apostille- certified (confirmed as genuine). In this case, when you receive your record from us, you should send it to the Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service.

Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service website

Requesting your full record of convictions

If you’re eligible, your record will automatically be concealed under the Clean Slate scheme. However, sometimes you’ll need to request your full record, including convictions that have been concealed. For example, you might need to request a full record if you’re:

  • Applying for certain types of jobs (such as police, prison or probation roles)
  • Involved in court cases or tribunal hearings
  • Travelling to certain countries – check with the embassy or consulate of the country you’re travelling to.

In most cases, it is against the law for anyone to ask for, or make you disclose, your full record.

Find out more about the Clean Slate scheme and concealing convictions